Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Listening Resources (for ESL Beginners)

Hi all,

I spent some time today browsing for some beneficial listening resources/activities I could use in my teaching context. I would like to list them, provide the link, and include a brief description. In my opinion some are better than others, but it's interesting to compare & contrast.

1) Resource: ESL Lab

Description: I really enjoyed ESL Lab. The site is easy to navigate and has some great activities I would use in my class. 

The first activity is focused on getting to know someone, or describing yourself. Very appropriate for beginners. There is a "Pre-Listening activity", a 30 second listening clip where my students would afterwards answer multiple choice comprehension questions, an opportunity to listen again with the script provided (key vocab words are highlighted), and a "Post-Listening" where students practice introducing themselves to others. Students would also listen and have to introduce a partner to the class. I like the role of production that's emphasized, as well as repetition.

The second activity is a bit simpler. Students listen to an audio clip and have to match up the "prices" they hear. They're then given  a research assigment where they are given prices and have to find something that's worth that amount. Straightforward, and to the point. 

2) Resource: You Tube

Description: You Tube has a wide variety of listening activities. It was a challenge to select the best audio clips.

Even though the first video I selected is for "Intermediate ESL learners," I included it to analyze the differences in technique. This activity is a lot more visual than the ESL Lab ones. Students watch a car go down roads, and they need to comprehend directions. It would be great for learners that are more visual.  When a new vocabulary word come up, they are notified.  Students are given additional work at the end.

The second video I believe had a bit of TPR in it.  It's a children's video, much more appropriate for my context. The listening activity is a song about "location" prepositions. After the song, the teacher then demonstrates with her own hands. 

3) Resource: English Listening World

Description: English Listening World is another useful site I stumbled upon. Most of the listening activities are listening to stories. 

The activity I included above has to do with phrasal expressions and "nervous times." The audio clip gives a background on the main character before starting the story. A very useful and smart technique. Students are given a vocabulary list with definitions. The script is included below and the keywords are in bold. There is a quiz at an end and also a "slower version" if the teacher or student prefers that kind of pace. 

After analyzing these resources, I find myself liking the sites that categorize what you would like to teach. ESL Listening World has a "phrasal expressions" section, a "grammar" section, an "idioms" section and more. Even though You Tube is a popular resource, I found myself steering away from it. It was a bit overwhelming to search and find an exact unit I wanted. ESL Lab was well structured and seemed to be a bit more detailed, providing Pre-Listening, Listening, and Post-Listening work. 

Questions for you all:
1) Did any of you attempt to use You Tube and feel overwhelmed/limited?
2) Do you think listening to a short clip/story and then answering questions is the best way to evaluate a students' comprehension? I ran into a lot of activities like that...


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1) Yeah, I think YouTube has a lot of stuff by now. Maybe we should start a blog that has links to the best youtube videos for teaching, and groups them by unit. That could help!

    2) It's a pretty decent way to evaluate, and probably one of the best aside frrom monitoring students ourselves. Actually, as I'm writing this, I realize that the question is more specific to listening rather than watching (I guess that leaked over from the YouTube question), and I don't think so. I think that watching a video is better than listening because the body language helps to guide meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Daniel that YouTube definitely has so much out there. I was actually quite overwhelmed with how many different videos/activities I could choose from. Additionally, I kept thinking that it's amazing how a few years makes a big difference. I stopped teaching in 2004 and would have loved to have had these amounts of resources back then. The grade level teachers and I were all in charge of finding different types of resources for all of our kids (there were approximately 5 classrooms per grade in the school I taught at in Houston). If I were to go back to teaching, I would bring links like this to our grade level meetings and would choose some top activities as a collaborative effort.

    ReplyDelete